Hitting the highway this summer? Here are 10 must-haves for anyone travelling with teens.
Being stuck in a car with teenagers doesn’t have to be as bad as it sounds. As long as you’re prepared with snacks, music and an easy-going personality, you’ll all have a blast, right? Right! To ensure everyone—including you— has an enjoyable time, we’ve created a list of this season’s road trip must-haves to help make even the longest of car journeys more comfortable.
1. HOUSE OF MARLEY BLUETOOTH® HEADPHONES Kids will be jammin’ in no time with these cordless headphones. Made from certified natural wood, recyclable metals and REGRIND™ recycled synthetic material, you can feel good about your ecological choice while watching the kids groove to their favourite tunes. Sync them to a Bluetooth device or attach the cord to connect to something without wireless capabilities. $69.99 from thehouseofmarley.com.
2. COLORIT ADULT COLOURING BOOKS Need a quick boredomkiller? Break out the markers and colour yourself calm with these dynamic books. Printed on single-sided, high-quality acid-free paper, these adult designs are easy to rip out and share. $US16 from colorit.com.
3. ESCAPE CANVAS UTILITY BAG Travel in style with this cool, canvas bag from Forestbound. The split leather handles make it easy to carry and the metal feet keep it off the ground. If you don’t think the ESCAPE message sums up your vacation goal, have it monogrammed with your own initials or personal message (for an extra $20). $US100 from forestbound.com.
4. MONKEY MAT Whether you’re heading to the beach, forest or a grassy field, this funky mat is a perfect accompaniment. It’s water repellent and has weighted corners to help keep it steady (or you can buy stakes for really windy days, $US6). Plus, it folds into a tiny pocket, leaving extra room to fit in your teen’s favourite pillow. $US20 from monkeymat.com.
5. 360 DEGREE PANORAMIC VIDEO CAMERA Show off trip videos in a way that’s sure to make the neighbours jealous. This camera can capture images and videos up to five minutes long and stitch them together for a 360-degree view of your surroundings. Once you connect it to a desktop software or mobile app, you’ll be able to pan left or right, up or down and zoom in and out as if you’re still there. $299.95 from hammacher.com.
6. KINDLE OASIS Read on the go without carting a heavy bag filled with books. This latest addition to the Kindle family is small, light and quick— essential attributes for easy packing. It also boasts a high-resolution, 300 ppi Paperwhite display, which means the text is crisp and easy to read. Its dual battery system means it starts charging as soon as you connect the cover. Added bonus: when kids read, they’re quiet! $399.99 from amazon.ca.
7. CARBUDDY Is your son complaining about having to hold his tablet to watch a movie? Protect his delicate wrist muscles by clipping his device into this easy-to-use headrest tablet mount. After all, you wouldn’t want him to work too hard, would you? The soft, adjustable leather arms help keep the case on and it can be used in portrait or landscape mode. $US20 from lilgadgets.com.
8. ZUS CAR CHARGER Boost two smartphones twice as fast with this handy USB charger. That means no fights over who gets the charger. Added bonus: it can help find the car when you forget where you parked it. $US30 at nonda.co/ products/nonda-zussmart-car-charger]
9. WAZE Avoid speed traps, shave time off your journey, locate cheaper gas and find new routes all in one place. This clever app is the perfect road trip accessory and it’s operated by real drivers in real time, so you’re guaranteed to have up-to-the-minute information. Just turn it on, set your destination and go. Free from the App store, Windows Phone store and Google Play.
10. LAMZAC HANGOUT Lounge in style with this vibrant inflatable chair. Super comfy and easy to pack (it folds into a small carrying bag), this trendy chair is the perfect lounging companion. Plus, it inflates without the need for a pump— just swing it through the air a few times and voila. $79, fatboy.com/ca